No one can predict exactly what their baby's birth will be like, but most women have some idea of what they hope will happen. One of the best ways to learn about labor and delivery is to develop a birth plan. A birth plan is a way for you to communicate to your healthcare provider what you envision your birth experience to be like.
What a birth plan might include:
- Who will be your support person?
- Would you like to have music to help you relax?
- What are your preferences for pain management? (Some women want their childbirth to be as quick and painless as possible, while others want natural labor with minimal medical involvement.)
What you can do:
- Start a baby file to store information on childbirth and parenting.
- Start a list of questions you will want to ask your doctor.
- Find an obstetrician or other physician who is right for you.
- Check on Prepared Childbirth classes.